Monday, February 4, 2013

Here Comes the Bride

These are four words that until the past couple years I've never thought would refer to me, but as of December 31st, 2012 it is true! I'm getting married and for the first time since I've been engaged it actually hit me this weekend. As I talked about in my last post, I spent my Imbolc surrounded by my three bridesmaids and my mom, trying on dresses. I went into the day thinking we'd try some on just to see what looked good since I honestly had no clue what really looked good on me. Boy was I wrong.

The first dress I put on (which I will not disclose what it looked like in public, message me if you want to see a pic of it) was actually the one I ended up getting. I had no clue what reaction I was going to have, or what I was going to get from my bridal party. I thought maybe it would be like that show "Say Yes to the Dress" and I would come out of the dressing room to a teary eyed mom and awed bridesmaids. What I came out to was a empty area. Turns out my mom, in true form, was off critiquing another bride's dress while my bridesmaids were off looking at other dresses for me to try on. I just laughed and told the consultant that this was typical.

After I wrangled my troops they oohed and ahed over the dress that I had chills in as I stood up on the pedestal. Still though I wasn't sold on it so I went to try on other dresses. Most were a simple no, while others had potential. One was almost as perfect at the other one, but had a much longer train than I wanted and also had a price of $1,750. I may be waning in my cynicism but still, that much for a dress I'm going to wear once is ridiculous.

I tried back on the other dress after all the others had been tried on and I fell in love with it all over again. The consultant clipped a veil into my hair to give the full effect. We took lots of picture with me and my bridesmaids and then in true bridal consultant form she asked me: Is this your dress? I looked in the mirror, looked at my mom, and then burst into tears. This of course in turn caused my entire bridal party to tear up as well.

After wiping all the tears, getting measured (I'm a factory size 10!!!!!), and mom writing the check (have I mentioned how much I LOVE my mother?!?!) we went over to try on the bridesmaids dresses. This was a much easier process as I HATE bridesmaids dresses. It was a lot of "No." We eventually found an incredibly elegant almost evening gown looking dress that is going to be holly green (which the other color of the wedding is lilac, to make the color of the thistle). From there we had an awesome lunch as Panera (shocking, I know) and headed to the Baltimore Bridal Show where I was flooded with information and cake.

It was a wonderful way to spend my Imbolc, though I have to say trying on dresses and walking around the Expo center really took it out of me and I was sore the next day. The memories from that day will stick with me for a long time, and I'm glad I spent it with some of my favorite woman: my mom, my cousin, my best friend, and Grant's best friend who has now become on of my best friends. The journey continues as the wedding is set for May of next year. It's going to be a long process as you all know I have SO much on my plate right now. This weekend I got no homework done so this week I will be buckling down. Only two more weeks of this Programming and Scripting class!

If anyone else has an wedding stories they would like to share, please do so in comments! I'd love to hear them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. I'm so glad you had such a lovely Imbolc/Brides' Day. You asked for wedding stories, so I'll shoot. My parents had nothing to do with my first wedding due to financial constraints, so my mother in law to be and I got the whole thing done for under $3000! I'd been inducted (bullied) into their church not long before, so everyone had happy fuzzy feelings toward me, and a church member who was a seamstress made me an amazing white brocade dress with a wedding album in matching material. I wanted to go barefoot, and mother in law was appalled, so we bought beautiful, expensive shoes that I kicked off the stage as soon as I got up there. :-) My bachelorette's party was browsing Wal-mart with girlfriends...that's how broke folk party, yo. I am so happy and excited for you and yours. Isn't it fun to feel the cynicism melt away a little bit at a time? Kinda scary too.

Sam Curtin said...

Wow, under $3,000! That's astounding, I'm going to be scared to find out how much everything is when we're all said and done. And yes the whole cynicism melting is very scary. Thankfully my cynicism for Valentine's Day is still alive and well! (Just wait for that post, it'll be full of cynical remarks, lol)

Anonymous said...

LOL...I once made a boyfriend cry because I wouldn't celebrate V-Day. Bah hum bug.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, new blog friend... I got teary-eyed reading your post. I am pleased you have a great relationship with your mother, and your friends. I am a Crone, got married in November 2000 (3rd time's the charm) and our whole celebration, including custom-made dresses for me and my maid of honor, purchased off-the rack tuxes for groom and best man, location, decorations, DJ and bar and full buffet with cake, was less than $8,000 (on Long Island). Photos were a gift to us (color and B&W - stunning), plus we had cameras on the tables (essential! got some of our best pix that way). May is my birth month. Hoping to see details... TJC/WiccanWoman

Sam Curtin said...

That's great! More details to come. I'm working on a post now about the venue.

Post a Comment